Sunday, August 8, 2010

BP_Web 2.0 Tools

I found it hard to choose which tool to feature today. I teach a variety of technology classes and found a few tools that would enhance the classes well. However, I chose Creaza for its flexibility of enhancing all of my classes in some way.  Creaza has four main tools: Cartoonist, AudioEditor, Mindomo and MovieEditor. All of which are pretty self explanatory, except for the Mindomo tool which is a mind mapping tool.  Creaza allows the user to upload image, sound and video files.  As in many of the Web 2.0 tools, the free version of Creaza has limitations that subscribing to a full version of the software would allow the user more abilities such as exporting creations.

I created a cartoon of the first day of school and how important following school and classroom rules can be.  It can be seen at the following link in full view http://www.creaza.com/my_homepage/cartoonist/11067868 or you can just view the screenshots below.






I'm sure you would have access to far more character, background and prop choices in the subscribed software as well. My classes were abandoned to the Library for two weeks at the end of the year during some school wide testing and we watched Avatar. The students were to create comic strips of their favorite scenes.  This would have been an interesting choice of software to see what they would have come up with.  Creaza has animals, robots and a forest background, so it would have been possible. It might have been rather primitive, however, it may have fostered a different kind of creativity.

I also created a Mindomo in Creaza of the yearbook sections we include in our yearbook. It is very easy to use as well. Mindomo is something EMDT students could use as well for our mind mapping activities.  Below is a screen shot of my creation that I will show to my Yearbook staff at the first of the year.


There are graphics that can be added as well to the Mindomo. I did notice a light bulb as well as a few other basic images.  I am sure that is another feature that improves with the subscribed version. 

Saving both projects was very simple and the same as clicking on the disk image in the upper left corner of the menu bar as in many other popular software packages used everyday. I did not have the video clips to create a video at this time, however, I am sure it would be just as simple as the other two tasks I did create. I hope you can find use for Creaza in your workplace as well.

2 comments:

  1. Tracy!
    I love this tool! It gives you the flexibility of a four-in-one tool, so students aren't having to take projects from one tool to another, to another. The Mindomo is probably my favorite aspect. Creaza recognizes the need to map and plan a story, cartoon or video just as one does in a written story. That brings such respect to digital storytelling and video production. Great tool. I'm picking it up right now!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent an hour on the Creaza movie editor software. After almost being impressed with the striking movie clips and audio tracks they let you use, I decided to pull out of Creaza. It did not let me download the movie till I had e a full version of Creaza. I searched all over Creaza for a full version option, but could not find it. Creaza does not offer much in help and support in terms of demo or FAQ. I'm glad you tried and liked Mindomo and Cartoonist features from Creaza. It definitely has rich graphics that allows for good creations. However, I think they need to ramp up their site to allow for much better user experience in the movie editor department for sure. I'd love to find out if someone was able to download their Creaza created movie.

    ReplyDelete